Dear President Obama:
As citizens across the world, we congratulate you on your election, and celebrate your campaign commitments to sign a strong new global treaty on climate change, close Guantanamo prison and end torture, withdraw carefully from Iraq, and double aid to fight poverty. No one country or leader can meet the world's most pressing challenges alone, but working together as one world in a spirit of dialogue and cooperation, yes we can bring real and lasting change.
In just the first 24 hours, over 150,000 people (make that now over 220,000) from 189 countries (make that now 224 countries) have signed and sent a message for Barack Obama to our huge global wall in the centre of Washington DC, and it has been covered on CNN, BBC, Al Jazeera and in the US on front pages of two of the biggest newspapers and on the evening news!
If you haven't already, follow the link to see the Wall and send your message to friends and family who might want to join in:
Ricken, Graziela, Iain, Brett, Paul, Alice, Milena, Paula, Ben, the whole Avaaz Team and tagging along with millions of others Brian Dowling.
- - Reduce the US's carbon emissions 80 by 2050 and play a strong positive role in negotiating a binding global treaty to replace the expiring Kyoto Protocol
- - Withdraw all combat troops from Iraq within 16 months and keep no permanent bases in the country
- - Establish a clear goal of eliminating all nuclear weapons across the globe
- - Close the Guantanamo Bay detention center
- - Double US aid to cut extreme poverty in half by 2015 and accelerate the fight against HIV/AIDS, tuberculoses and Malaria
- - Open diplomatic talks with countries like Iran and Syria, to pursue peaceful resolution of tensions
- - De-politicize military intelligence to avoid ever repeating the kind of manipulation that led the US into Iraq
- - Launch a major diplomatic effort to stop the killings in Darfur
- - Invest $150 billion over ten years to support renewable energy and get 1 million plug-in electric cars on the road by 2015